The Patten family
From then on up until the early 20th century, Clone was owned by the Patten family – local landlords. The Pattens originally came from England and lived in Clone for many generations with many farmers and workers. Over a period of time the Clone Estate was broken up and Pattens were left with an estate of about 500 acres around the residence.
Robert Patten was listed as the tenant occupying a property in Clone in the Griffith’s Valuation (a boundary and land survey) published in 1854. His landlord was the Earl of Meath. The property at this time had a net annual value of 369£.
Another Patten mention is made in the census of Ireland of 1911, where Fletcher Moon Patten is named as the single “Head of Family” of a house in Clone. At that time, it was stated, only one private dwelling was inhabited on the propery while 17 outsteadings – offices and farms – existed. A coach house, two cow houses, a piggery and a workshop, amongst others.